This article describes poisoning caused by eating parts of a calla lily plant.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Asparagine, a protein found in this plant
Note: The roots are the most dangerous part of the plant.
- Calla lily genus zantedeschia
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
- Burning in mouth and throat
- Swelling of mouth and tongue
- Redness, swelling, pain, and burning of the eyes, and possible corneal damage
Blistering and swelling in the mouth may be severe enough to prevent normal speaking and swallowing.
Seek immediate medical help. Wipe out the mouth with a cold, wet cloth. If the person’s eyes or skin are irritated, rinse them well with water.
Give the person milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. Do NOT give milk if the person is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Bring the plant with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive fluids through a vein (IV) and breathing support.
If contact with the patient’s mouth is not severe, symptoms usually resolve within a few days. For patients who do have severe contact with the plant, a longer recovery time may be necessary.
Do not touch or eat any plant with which you are not familiar. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.