Cologne is a scented liquid made from alcohol and essential oils. Cologne poisoning occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally swallows cologne.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Ethyl alcohol (ethanol)
- Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol)
Note: This list may not include all poisonous ingredients in cologne.
- Various colognes
- Changes in alert level (unconsciousness) or coma
- Diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting (may be bloody)
Inability to walk in a normal manner
- Low body temperature, low blood sugar, and low blood pressure
- Too little or too much urine output
- Rapid heart rate
- Slowed breathing
- Slurred speech
- Swaying from side to side
- Throat pain
- Uncoordinated movement
Low blood sugar may occur. Children are particularly prone to developing low blood sugar. Symptoms of low blood sugar can include
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless you are told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Breathing tube
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- A tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
You may have to stay in the hospital.
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Cologne poisoning may result in a condition similar to being drunk (alcohol intoxication) to severe breathing problems, seizures, and coma. A product with more isopropyl alcohol may potentially cause a more serious illness.