Diclofenac sodium is a prescription medicine used to relieve pain and swelling. It is an nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Diclofenac sodium
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Diclofenac sodium is a prescription medication. Brands include:
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Drowsiness Headache(can be severe)
- Movement problems
- Numbness and tingling
Ringing in the ears Stomach pain(with possible bleeding in the stomach and intestines) Rash
Urination problems (little to no urine output)
In very rare cases, breathing problems, coma, convulsions, and blurred vision may occur.
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless you are told to do so by a doctor or poison control.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support (oxygen, possibly a breathing tube)
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to empty the stomach (
Taking too much of this medication is not usually a problem. You may have some pain in your stomach and vomiting (possibly with blood). However, these symptoms will likely get better. Rarely, a blood transfusion may be needed.
In rare cases you may also hear ringing in your ears and have a bad headache, but these symptoms will likely pass as well.