Fluoride is a chemical commonly used to prevent tooth decay. Fluoride
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Fluoride is found in many over-the-counter and prescription products, including:
Certain mouthwashes and toothpastes
Certain vitamins (Tri-Vi-Flor, Poly-Vi-Flor, Vi-Daylin F)
Sodium fluoride liquid and tablets
Fluoride may also be found in other household items, including
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Abdominal pain Abnormal taste(salty or soapy taste) Convulsions Diarrhea
- Heart attack
- Irregular heartbeat
- Shallow breathing
- Slow heartbeart
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition (for example, is the person awake or alert?)
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
However, do NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Calcium or milk
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
The amount of fluoride found in toothpaste is usually not swallowed in large enough amounts to cause harm.