A hair transplant is a surgical procedure to improve baldness.
During a hair transplant, hairs are moved from an area of thick growth to bald areas.
Most hair transplants are done in a doctor’s office. The procedure is performed as follows:
- You receive local anesthesia to numb the scalp. You may also receive medicine to relax you.
- Your scalp is thoroughly cleaned.
- A strip of your hairy scalp is removed using a scalpel (surgical knife) and set aside. This area of your scalp is called the donor area. The scalp is closed using tiny stitches.
- Small groups of hairs, or individual hairs, are carefully separated out from the removed scalp.
- The bald areas that will receive these healthy hairs are cleaned. These areas of your scalp are called the recipient areas.
- Tiny cuts are made in the bald area.
- Healthy hairs are carefully placed in the cuts. During a single treatment session, hundreds or even thousands of hairs may be transplanted.
Why the Procedure Is Performed
Hair transplantation can improve the appearance and self-confidence in patients who are balding. This procedure cannot create new hair. It can only move the hair you already have to the areas that are bald.
Most persons who have a hair transplant have
In some cases, patients with hair loss from
Risks of any surgical procedure include:
Other risks that can occur with this procedure:
Unnatural-looking tufts of new hair growth
It is possible that the transplanted hair will not look as good as you had desired.
Hair transplant patients should be healthy, or surgery is less likely to be safe and successful. Discuss your risks and options with your doctor before undergoing this procedure.
After the Procedure
Follow the doctor’s instructions about caring for your scalp and any other self-care measures. This is especially important to ensure healing.
For a day or two after the procedure, you may have a large surgical dressing or a smaller dressing protected by a baseball cap.
During the recovery period after surgery, your scalp may be very tender. You may need to take pain medicines.
You may also need to take antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medicines after surgery.
Most hair transplants result in excellent hair growth within several months after the procedure. More than one treatment session may be needed to create best results.
The replaced hairs are usually permanent. No long-term care is necessary.