Most household glues, such as Elmer’s glue, are not poisonous. However, household glue poisoning can occur when someone intentionally breathes in glue fumes in an attempt to get “high.”
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Light aliphatic naphtha
Note: This list may not include all sources of household glue.
Symptoms of breathing in (“sniffing”) glue fumes may include:
Convulsions (from breathing in large amounts)
Drunk, dazed, or dizzy appearance
Loss of appetite
Red, runny nose
Severe poisonings caused by swallowing glue may cause:
Gastric outlet obstruction
Intestinal obstructionwith abdominal pain
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
If the person breathed in the poison, immediately move him or her to fresh air.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Because household glue is relatively nonpoisonous, you should recover. However, heart, kidney, brain, and liver damage are possible from long-term poisoning.