Lily of the valley is a flowering plant. Lily of the valley poisoning occurs when someone eats parts of this plant.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Note: This list may not include all poisonous ingredients.
The flowers, fruit, and leaves of the lily of the valley plant are poisonous.
Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat:
- Excessive urination at night
Halos around objects(yellow, green, white)
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Vomiting or nausea
Heart and blood:
Irregularor slow heartbeat
Note: Depression, loss of appetite, and halos are usually only seen in
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
Patient’s age, weight, and condition
Name and part of the plant swallowed, if known
Time it was swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Blood and urine tests
- Breathing support
- Chest x-ray
EKG(electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
- Fluids through a vein (IV)
- Medication to treat symptoms, including an antidote to reverse the effects of the poison
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Symptoms last for 1 – 3 days and may require a hospital stay. Death is unlikely.
Do not touch or eat any plant with which you are not familiar. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.