Peppermint oil is an oil made from the peppermint plant. Peppermint oil
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Peppermint oil is used as a flavoring agent in various products. It is also used:
As a germ-killing (antiseptic) product
As a numbing (anesthetic) product
In herbal medicine to relieve spasms
Note: This list may not include all uses of peppermint oil.
- Heart and blood
Shallow breathing Slow breathing
- Rapid breathing
Abdominal pain Diarrhea Nausea Vomiting
- Kidneys and bladder
Blood in urine
- No urine production
- Nervous system
Convulsions Depression Dizziness
Unconsciousness Uncoordinated movement
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Tube down the windpipe and lungs to look for damage and burns (bronchoscopy)
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Survival past 48 hours is usually a good sign that recovery will occur. If damage to the kidneys has occurred, it may take several months to heal.