Periactin is an antihistamine, which is a drug used to relieve allergy symptoms. A periactin overdose occurs when someone takes too much of this drug.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Cyproheptadine hydrochloride overdose
The generic drug name for Periactin is cyproheptadine hydrochloride. This medicine may also be sold under the following brand names:
This list may not be all-inclusive.
- Eyes and skin
- Dilated pupils
- Heart and blood vessels
- Low blood pressure
- Nervous system
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Medicine (antidote) to reverse the effect of the poison
If the patient lives the first 24 hours, survival is likely. Few patients actually die from an antihistamine overdose.