Phenytoin is a medicine used to treat convulsions and seizures. Phenytoin overdose occurs when someone takes too much of this medicine.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or a poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Diphenylan Sodium
This list may not be all-inclusive.
Coma Confusion Convulsions(occasionally)
- Low blood pressure
- Side-to-side eye movement
- Slurred speech
- Swollen gums
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the pill container with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Blood tests will be done to check phenytoin levels. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Methods to help with breathing
- Tube through the nose or mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (