Poinsettia plants, commonly used during the holidays, are not poisonous. Eating this plant does not usually result in a trip to the hospital.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Christmas flower poisoning; Lobster plant poisoning; Painted leaf poisoning
Leaves, stem, sap of the poinsettia plant
Eyes (if direct contact occurs):
Gastrointestinal (symptoms are mild):
- Stomach ache
- Skin rash and itching
Eating this plant does not usually result in a trip to the hospital.
Rinse the mouth out with water if leaves or stems were eaten.
- Rinse eyes with water, if needed.
- Wash the skin of any area that appears irritated with soap and water.
Before Calling Emergency
Seek medical help if the person has a severe reaction.
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
How well the person does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster the person gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
This plant is not considered toxic. People usually make a full recovery.
Do not touch or eat any plant with which you are not familiar. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.