Promethazine is a medicine used to treat nausea and vomiting. Promethazine
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Promethazine may be sold under the following brand names:
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Heart and blood vessels
Rapid heartbeat Convulsions
- Nervous system
Coma Delirium Depression
- Large (dilated) pupils with vision difficulty
- Muscle stiffness in face or neck
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local poison control center. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the pill container with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Medicine (antidote) to reverse the effect of the poison
- Tube through the mouth or nose into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
If the patient survives the first 24 hours, recovery is likely. Few patients actually die from promethazine overdose.