Propyl alcohol is a clear liquid commonly used as a germ killer (antiseptic). This article discusses poisoning from swallowing propyl alcohol.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or a local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Rubbing alcohol
- Alcohol swabs
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Low blood pressure
Low urine output
Nausea and vomiting
Reflexes do not respond
Slowed or labored breathing
Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
- When it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local poison control center. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:
- Breathing support
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Medicines to treat symptoms, including blood pressure problems
- Dialysis only in the most severe poisonings
Propyl alcohol poisoning is very rarely deadly.