Sassafras oil is an oil taken from the root bark of the sassafras tree. Sassafras oil overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this substance.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Safrole, a clear or slightly yellow and oily liquid
- Sassafras oil
Note: The United States and Canada have banned sassafras oil (other than trace amounts of safrole) from foods and medications since 1960. Its active ingredient, safrole, is a recognized cancer-causing substance.
Abdominal pain Diarrhea Nausea Vomiting
- Heart and blood
Low blood pressure Rapid heartbeat
- Rapid breathing
- Nervous system
Dizziness Hallucinations Unconsciousness
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
Fluids through a vein (by IV)
Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Sassafras oil is very toxic. If damage to the kidneys has occurred, it may take several months to heal. Sassafras oil can also cause cancer with long-term exposure.