Backward falls onto a hard surface, such as a slippery floor or ice, are the most common cause of this injury.
- Bruising on the lower part of the spine
- Pain when sitting or putting pressure on the tailbone
For tailbone trauma where no
- Relieve pressure on the tailbone by sitting on an inflatable rubber ring or cushions.
- Take acetaminophen for pain.
- Take a stool softener to avoid constipation.
If you suspect injury to the neck or spine, do not attempt to move the patient.
Do NOT attempt to move the patient if you think there may be injury to the spinal cord.
When to Contact a Medical Professional
Call for immediate medical help if:
- Spinal cord injury is suspected.
- The patient cannot move.
- Pain is severe.
- Do NOT run on slippery surfaces, such as around a swimming pool.
- Dress in shoes with good tread or slip-resistant soles, especially in snow or on ice.