Wood stains are products used for wood finishing. Wood stain poisoning occurs when someone swallows these substances.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Hydrocarbons, or substances containing only carbon and hydrogen. Other ingredients may include:
Corrosives, such as sodium hydroxide (lye)
- Various wood stains
Note: This list does not include all sources of wood stain.
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Loss of vision
- Severe pain in the throat
- Severe pain or burning in the nose, eyes, ears, lips, or tongue
Blood in the stool
- Burns of the food pipe (esophagus)
- Heart and blood
Low blood pressurethat develops rapidly
- Lungs and airways
- Breathing difficulty (from breathing in substance)
- Throat swelling (which may also cause breathing difficulty)
- Nervous system
- Brain damage
- Difficulty concentrating
- Holes (necrosis) in the skin or tissues underneath
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.
If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. Do NOT give water or milk if the patient is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.
If the person breathed in the poison, immediately move him or her to fresh air.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Breathing tube
- Bronchoscopy — camera down the throat to see burns in the airways and lungs
- Endoscopy — camera down the throat to see burns in the esophagus and the stomach
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Kidney dialysis in some cases
- Surgical removal of burned skin (skin debridement)
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
- Washing of the skin (irrigation) — perhaps every few hours for several days
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Damage can continue to occur for several weeks after the poison was swallowed.