Blue nightshade poisoning occurs when someone eats parts of the blue nightshade plant.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Bittersweet poisoning; Bitter nightshade poisoning; Scarlet berry poisoning; Weedy nightshade poisoning
Solanine (which is very poisonous, even in small amounts)
The poison is found in the blue nightshade (Solanum dulcamara) plant, especially in the fruit and leaves.
Eyes, ears, nose, and throat:
- Dry mouth
- Enlarged (dilated) pupils
- Stomach pain
Heart and blood:
Pulse – slow pulse Shock
Loss of sensation Paralysis
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the plant, if known
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Blood and urine tests
- Breathing support
- Chest x-ray
- EKG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
- Fluids through a vein (IV)
- Medication to treat symptoms
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Symptoms last for 1 – 3 days and may require a hospital stay. Death is unlikely.
Do not touch or eat any plant with which you are not familiar. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.