Carbolic acid is a sweet-smelling clear liquid that is added to many different products. Carbolic acid poisoning occurs when someone touches or swallows this chemical.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Phenol poisoning; Phenylic acid poisoning; Hydroxybenzene poisoning; Phenic acid poisoning; Benzenol poisoning
- Adhesive dyes
- Lubricating oils
- Various antiseptics
- Various disinfectants
- Various germicides
Note: This list may not include all products containing carbolic acid.
- Bladder and kidneys
- Blue- or green-colored urine
- Decreased urine output
- No urine output
- Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
- Severe burns in the mouth and windpipe (esophagus)
- Yellow eyes
- Abdominal pain – severe
- Bloody stools
- Stomach pain
- Vomiting – possibly bloody
- Heart and blood
- Low blood pressure
- Rapid heart rate
- Deep, rapid breathing
- Nervous system
Coma Convulsions Hyperactivity
- Lack of alertness (
Blue lips and fingernails
- Yellow skin
- Whole body
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. Do NOT give water or milk if the patient is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.
If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Breathing support
- Endoscopy — camera down the throat to see burns in the esophagus and the stomach
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Medicines to relieve pain
- Skin creams to treat burns
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Damage continues to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after the poison was swallowed, and death may occur as long as a month later.