Cyproheptadine is a type of drug called an antihistamine, which is used to relieve allergy symptoms. Cyproheptadine
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
This list may not be all-inclusive.
- Bladder and kidneys
- Inability to urinate
- Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
- Dry mouth
- Enlarged pupils
- Severely dry eyes
- Ringing in the ears
- Heart and blood vessels
- Low blood pressure
- Nervous system
Delirium Depression Drowsiness
- Increased sleepiness
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medicine was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
Medicine to reverse the effects of the poison (this is called an antidote)
Tube through the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
If the patient survives the first 24 hours, survival is likely. Few patients actually die from an antihistamine overdose.