Desipramine hydrochloride is a type of medicine called a tricyclic antidepressant. Desipramine hydrochloride
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
- Airways and lungs
Breathing slowed and labored
- Bladder and kidneys
- Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
- Dry mouth
- Heart and blood
- Low blood pressure
- Nervous system
- Hallucinations (thinking something is there when it is not)
Restlessness Stupor(lack of alertness) Uncoordinated movement
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make the person throw up.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Tests may be done to check the patient’s heart function. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
Breathing help (artificial respiration)
Fluids through a vein (by IV)
Medicine called an antidote (sodium bicarbonate) to reverse the effects of the poison
Tube from the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)
How well a person does depends on how quickly treatment is received. The sooner therapy is received, the greater the chance of recovery. This can be an extremely serious overdose. Death can occur.