Eucalyptus oil overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally swallows large amounts of a product containing this ingredient.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Eucalyptus oil is an ingredient found in many over-the-counter products, including some:
Medicated rubs and liniments
- Diaper rash creams
- Inhalers to relieve
- Medication for sore gums, mouths, and throat
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Airways and lungs
- Breathing – rapid
Breathing – shallow
Eyes, ears, nose, throat, and mouth
- Difficulty swallowing
- Burning sensation in mouth
- Pinpoint pupils
Heart and blood
Rapid, weak heartbeat
- Low blood pressure
Muscles and joints
Unconsciousness Dizziness Seizures
- Slurred speech
Redness and swelling (from touching the skin)
Stomach and intestinal tract
Abdominal pain Diarrhea
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing tube to help with breathing and protect the windpipe and lungs from getting eucalyptus oil into them when vomiting
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Medication to help reverse the effects of the poison
- Tube through the nose into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)
- Tube down the throat and into lungs to see damage (bronchoscopy)
Survival past 48 hours is usually a good sign that recovery will occur. If any damage to the kidneys has occurred, it may take several months to heal.