Hydrocarbon pneumonia is caused by drinking or breathing in
These products cause fairly rapid changes in the lungs, including inflammation, swelling, and bleeding.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or a local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
Pneumonia – hydrocarbon
Coma Coughing Fever Shortness of breath
- Smell of a hydrocarbon product on the breath
Signs and tests
The health care provider will check the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.
The following tests may be done:
- Blood gas monitoring
- Complete blood count (CBC)
Metabolic panel Toxicology screen X-ray of the chest
Those with mild symptoms may need to be seen by doctors in an emergency room, but may not require a hospital stay.
Persons with moderate and severe symptoms are normally admitted to the hospital, occasionally to an intensive care unit (ICU).
Hospital treatment may include:
- Breathing tube
Most children who drink or inhale hydrocarbon products and develop
Pleural effusion Pneumothorax
- Secondary bacterial infections
Calling your health care provider
If you know or suspect that your child has swallowed or inhaled a hydrocarbon product, take them to the emergency room immediately. DO NOT use ipecac to make the person throw up.
In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local poison control center. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. You can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you have young children, be sure to identify and store materials containing hydrocarbons carefully.