Imipramine is a medicine used to treat depression. Imipramine
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Tofranil overdose; Janimine overdose
Imipramine is sold under various brand names, including:
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Agitation Blurred vision Breathing slowed and labored Coma
- Enlarged pupils in the eye
- Delirium (decline in attention and mental process)
- Dry mouth
- Low blood pressure
Muscle rigidityand spasms Restlessness
- Skin flushing
Stupor(lack of alertness) Shock Uncoordinated movement Urinary hesitancy Vomiting
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms are treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Blood tests to monitor imipramine levels
- Breathing support
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Medicine, called an antidote, to reverse the effects of the poison (sodium bicarbonate)
- Tube through the nose into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
Imipramine can be an extremely serious overdose. Patients who swallow an excessive amount of this drug are almost always admitted to hospital.
How well a person does depends on how much of the drug was swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster one gets medical help, the better the chance of recovery.
Death can occur, usually from serious heart rhythm disturbances or because breathing stops.