Iron is a mineral found in many over-the-counter supplements. Iron
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Ferrous sulfate overdose; Ferrous gluconate overdose; Ferrous fumarate overdose
Iron is an ingredient in many mineral and vitamin supplements. Iron supplements are also sold by themselves. Types include:
- Ferrous sulfate (Feosol, Slow Fe)
- Ferrous gluconate (Fergon)
- Ferrous fumarate (Femiron, Feostat)
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Airways and lungs
Buildup of fluids in the lungs
Black and, possibly, bloody stools Diarrhea
- Liver damage
- Metallic taste in mouth
Nausea Vomiting blood
Heart and blood
- Low blood pressure
- Fast and weak pulse
Coma(may occur within 1/2 to 1 hour after overdose)
- Lack of desire to do anything
Bluish-colored lips and fingernails
Loss of color from the skin (pallor)
Note: Symptoms may go away in a few hours, then return again after 1 day or later.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
Blood tests to check iron levels
Endoscopy — camera and tube down the throat to see the esophagus and the stomach and remove pills
- Tube through mouth into the stomach to empty the stomach (
- X-ray to make sure all iron tablets are gone from the stomach
- Medication to help remove iron from the body (deferoxamine)
There is a good chance of recovery if you have no symptoms 48 hours after swallowing the iron. However, some people have died up to a week after an iron overdose. The more quickly you receive treatment, the better the chance for survival.
Iron overdose can be extremely severe in children. Children may sometimes eat large amounts of iron pills because they look like candy. Many manufacturers have changed their pills so they no longer look like candy.