Methapyrilene hydrochloride is an uncommon antihistamine found in cold or flu medicines. Methapyrilene hydrochloride overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Methapyrilene hydrochloride
Methapyrilene hydrochloride is found in older antihistamine medications. It was removed from the market in 1979 because it was found to contribute to cancer after long-term use.
- Bladder and kidneys
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Blurred vision
- Dilated pupils
- Dry eyes – severe
- Dry mouth
- Ringing in the ears
- Heart and blood
Low blood pressure Rapid heartbeat
- Nervous system
Convulsions Coma Delirium
- Increased sleepiness
- Dry skin
Flushed (red) skin
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support
- Fluids by IV
- Medicine (antidote) to reverse the effect of the poison
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Recovery is likely if the patient survives the first 24 hours. Few patients actually die from an antihistamine overdose.