Naproxen sodium is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to relieve mild to moderate aches and pains. Naproxen sodium overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or a local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
Naproxen sodium is sold under a variety of different brand names, including:
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
Ringing in the ears Blurred vision
- Gastrointestinal system
- Stomach pain (possible bleeding in the stomach and intestines)
- Heart and blood vessels
- Circulatory failure
- Nervous system
- Headache – severe
- Incoherence (the person is not understandable)
- Movement problems
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If a doctor prescribed the medicine for the person
However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local position control center. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. You can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect at the emergency room
The doctor or nurse will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Tube through the mouth or nose into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
Recovery is likely.