Phenindamine is a type of medication called an antihistamine, which helps relieve allergy symptoms. Phenindamine
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Amilon; Fenaclor; Nolamine; Norphenamine; Prophamine
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Bladder and kidneys:
- Inability to urinate
- Difficulty urinating
Eyes, ears, nose, and throat:
- Blurred vision
- Dilated (enlarged) pupils
- Dry mouth
- Ringing of the ears
Heart and blood vessels:
- Increased blood pressure
Convulsions (seizures) Delirium
Drowsiness Fever Hallucinations
Stomach and intestines:
Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make the person throw up unless told to do so by poison control.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Blood and urine tests
- Chest x-ray
- EKG (electrocardiogram or heart tracing)
- Breathing support
- Intravenous (given through the vein) fluids
- Medicine to to treat symptoms
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to empty the stomach (
If the patient survives the first 24 hours, chances of survival are good. Few patients actually die from an antihistamine overdose. With extremely high doses of antihistamines, serious heart rhythm disturbances may occur, which may result in death.