Pheniramine is a type of medication called an antihistamine, which helps relieve allergy symptoms. Pheniramine
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Dehistine D overdose; Liqui-Histine overdose; Poly-D overdose; Poly-Histine overdose; Liqui-minic infant overdose; Triactin overdose; Triaminic infant overdose
- Citra Forte
- Dehistine D
- Ru-Tuss with Hydrocodone
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Eyes, ears, nose, and throat: Blurred vision, dry mouth, enlarged pupils, ringing in the ears
Heart and blood:
Nervous system: Convulsions,
Stomach and intestinal tract: Nausea, vomiting
Seek immediate medical attention. DO NOT make the person throw up unless told to do so by poison control.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.
The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support
- Chest x-ray
- EKG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
- Intravenous (given through a vein) fluids
- Medication (antidote) to reverse the effect of the poison
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to empty the stomach (
If the patient survives the first 24 hours, recovery is good. Few patients die from an antihistamine overdose.
Keep all medicines in child-proof containers and out of reach of children. Read all medicine labels and take only medicines which have been prescribed for you.