Rubber cement is a common household glue. Breathing in large amounts of rubber cement fumes or swallowing any amount can be extremely dangerous, especially for a small child.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Isopropyl alcohol
Various rubber cements (often used for arts and crafts projects). Elmer’s rubber glue is one brand.
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Most symptoms occur in people who repeatedly sniff rubber cement to get “high.”
- Airways and lungs
- Breathing difficulty (from inhalation)
- Throat swelling (which may also cause breathing difficulty)
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Burning in the nose, lips, throat, or eyes
- Vision loss
- Heart and blood
- Change in the acid balance of the blood, which can lead to organ damage
- Low blood pressure
- Intestinal tract
- Abdominal pain
- Nervous system
- Muscle spasms
- Nerve problems
- Unstable walk
Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional. Seek immediate medical help.
If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.
If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. Do NOT give water or milk if the patient is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.
If the person breathed in the poison, immediately move him or her to fresh air.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient’s age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient’s vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Breathing tube
- Bronchoscopy – a camera down the throat to see burns in the airways and lungs
- Fluids through a vein (IV)
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (
- Washing of the skin (irrigation) — perhaps every few hours for several days
How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Swallowing or putting small amounts of rubber cement in your mouth is usually harmless. However, intentionally eating large amounts can cause damage to your brain, liver, and kidneys. Severe damage to your brain, lungs, and kidneys can occur over time from repeatedly “sniffing” rubber cement.