- Physician Teams
- SHow can we help?
A healthy diet is an important part of your overall heart health. While we all know to avoid foods that are high in fat and sugar, it can be difficult to know what foods you should be eating. Coordinated Health Cardiac Nurse Practitioner Joyce Dobish has some advice.“Some healthy food items that should be included in daily diet, most importantly should be fresh fruits and vegetables; more color more nutrients! In addition, low-carb, whole grains and high fiber including such things as brown rice, whole wheat pasta, nuts. Recommendation continues for minimal consumption of red meat with continued recommendation for consumption of chicken, turkey, and fish and either baked, grilled, broiled, or steamed fashion,” she says.
Below are 5 Heart Healthy Foods that you should be incorporating into your diet on a daily basis.
1. Fish – Both Tuna and Salmon have Omega 3’s that are great for your heart and joints
2. Avocado – Avocado’s have monosaturated fatty acids and vitamins that protect your heart and can be included in a variety of dishes
3. Olive Oil – Using olive oil can lower your LDL cholesterol levels
4. Whole Grains – Whole grain breads contain vitamins, minerals and fiber that helps promote heart health
5. Green Leafy Vegetables – In addition to heart health, green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale also aid in the retention of memory as you age