Stephen Brigido, DPM, is an orthopedic surgeon with Coordinated Health.
A nationally recognized surgeon, educator, and researcher on ankle arthritis and total ankle replacements, Dr. Stephen Brigido is a Diplomate of the American Board of Podiatric Surgery, a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, and is board certified in both foot surgery and rearfoot/ankle surgery. His focus is in adult reconstruction of the foot and ankle, ankle arthritis, and ankle replacement surgery, as well as treatment of cartilage injuries related to sports injuries.
Dr. Brigido is a graduate of Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Virginia, and received his Doctor of Podiatric Medicine from Temple University. He serves as the director of the Foot and Ankle Fellowship at Coordinated Health.
The fellowship selects physicians who have completed a residency in foot and ankle reconstruction, who are looking to further advance their skills in lower extremity reconstruction. The fellow presents at numerous foot and ankle meetings nationally and also performs research to help solve problems often encountered in foot and ankle surgery. Each fellow spends 12 months at Coordinated Health with Dr. Brigido. The fellowship is recognized by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons and was one of the first ten fellowships created in this specialty.
Dr. Brigido is also active in product development and continuing education. He is a regular presenter and lecturer at national and international foot and ankle courses. His research and development interests include acellular regenerative tissue scaffolds and foot and ankle reconstruction.
- Named to the editorial board of Foot and Ankle Specialist, a peer-reviewed orthopedic and podiatric journal focused on foot and ankle reconstruction
- Contributing author to The Lateral Approach for Total Ankle Replacement, a book by Springer, Inc., due out in 2015
Chairman of the 2014 course, Advances in Total Ankle Arthroplasty in Phoenix, Arizona
Dr. Brigido’s extensive list of publications include:
- Brigido SA, et. al: Biologic Resurfacing of the Ankle and First MTPJ- A two year analysis. Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery. October 2009.
- Brigido SA: Soft Tissue Reconstruction Techniques in the Foot and Ankle. Foot and Ankle Specialist. October 2009.
- Brigido SA et al.: “Use of Acellur Flowable Regenerative Tissue Scaffold on Sinus Tract Lower Extremity Wounds”. Foot and Ankle Specialist. April 2009.
- Winters CL, Brigido SA, et al.: A Multicenter Study Involving the Use of An Acellular Regenerative Tissue Scaffold in the Treatment of Lower Extremity Diabetic Wounds. Advances in Skin and Wound Care. August 2008.
- Brigido SA et al.: “Reconstruction of the Diseased Achilles Tendon using an Acellular Dermal Graft and Early Mobilization: A Preliminary Series” Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery. December 2007;6:4.
- Brigido SA: “Use of an Acellular Regenerative Tissue Matrix in the Treatment of Lower Extremity Wounds: A 16 Week Prospective Pilot Study&rdquo International Wound Journal. September. Vol 3, Number 3.
- Brigido SA: “Treating Debilitating Diabetic Foot Ulcers&rdquo Physicians Weekly Surgery Edition. April, 18, 2005. Vol II No 15.
- Brigido SA: “New Treatments for Diabetic Foot Wounds”. Voice of the Diabetic. January 2005
- Brigido, SA: “Healing Debilitating Diabetic Foot Wounds”. Orthopaedic Technology Review. Vol. 6 No. 6. 2004
- Brigido SA, Boc SF, Lopez RC: “Effective Management of Major Lower Extremity Wounds Using an Acellular Regenerative Tissue Matrix: A Pilot Study”. Orthopedics: Vol. 27 No. 1 2004
- Brigido SA, Berlin JM, Hillstrom HJ: “The Biomechanics of the First Metatarsophalangeal Joint: Healthy and Hallux Limitus.” Proceedings of the 18th International Society of Biomechanics World Congress, 2001
- Deroy AR, Brigido SA, Berlin JM, Fiorilli A: “Hallux Abductovalgus Treatment: The Effects of Capital Osteotomies on Static and Dynamic Foot Function Pre-and Postoperatively.” Gait and Posture, April 2001
Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, VA, Bachelor of Science, Biology, 1994 - 1998
Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, 1998 - 2002
St. Agnes Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Chief Resident 2003 - 2004
- Ankle Replacement
- Foot & Ankle Surgery
- Ankle Arthritis